The Google Group (formerly called the LISTSERV) is a rapid means of communication for our residents. There's a lot you can do with Google Groups:
- Engage in discussions about a specific subject.
- Ask a question and/or answer questions.
You can read group posts through email, the online interface, or both. It works on computers as well as smart phones and tablets. It's easy, and a great way to keep up with what's going on in the neighborhood. Timely news, crime alerts lost pets and other communications are sent to all mailing list subscribers.
The Whitland Google Group is a private group for subscribers only. Access is protected. To join/subscribe please review these instructions before accessing the website.
- Check the HOW TO SUBSCRIBE example below for instructions. Be prepared to provide your full name, email address, and home address. Subscribers are approved by the Group managers. When you are ready click here to subscribe.
- Only subscribers can create a post. Subscribers must provide their full names as anonymous posts will not be allowed. Posts will appear and emails sent immediately when the post is submitted. (Click here to learn how to post).
- Only subscribers can view posts.
There is one instance when a member’s email is hacked, the hacker often sends a false message to ALL contacts in the member’s address book with the message appearing to come from that member’s email account. Since members can post to the Google Group an inappropriate message can happen sometimes. The bottom line is, if you see a subject line that seems unrelated or out of place for WANA, it's best not to click on anything in that post. It will be removed as quickly as we can.
The following posts ARE NOT PERMITTED and will be removed by the Group Managers:
- Vehicles for sale (autos, boats, motorcycles); please use other websites.
- Commercial advertisements
- Postings about contentious issues, written from one point of view are not permitted. The exception to this rule is in circumstances where the Board of Directors of the Whitland Area Neighborhood Association has voted to take a formal; position on an issue and needs to inform neighbors of that decision.
- Political candidate endorsements or events. Postings advertising a candidates' forum or similar event to which all candidates are invited, and which is organized by a neutral party, are allowed.
- Posts containing inappropriate language, name calling, bullying, threats, or verbal confrontations with neighbors.
EXCEPTIONS may be made for:
- Announcements by residents of homes for sale or rent.
- Announcements of students looking for baby-sitting, garden care, or other work.
- Announcements by non-profit organizations such as MBA, and leaders of other neighborhood associations
Submissions should be limited to non-commercial items of general neighborhood interest, usually of a time-sensitive nature. For longer items, which may be better suited for a website news article, please contact the Editor Whitland.org listed under the Board tab.
All posts are reviewed by the Group Managers. While posts are allowed to appear prior to review, any post found to be violating the rules will be deleted and the subscriber warned. If violations continue the subscriber will be banned from the group
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
1. You will need to log into Google with a username and password. If you don't have a Google account, click the blue "Sign in button to set up a Google account. Then sign in to your Google account
2. Type whitland into the search box and press the blue Search Groups button
3. Click on the line, "Whitland email@example.com" shown above.
4. Now you can see all the recent posts as above. However, you want to join the Group so you can post and reply to posts. Click on the blue button, "Join group to post
5. Click on the person-star icon in the on the right side beside Filters for My Settings as shown below. Then select "My global settings" as shown below.
6. Use the check boxes to set up all the settings you would like to have. There is a long list. Be sure to Save.
You will now receive notifications each time there is new post according to your settings.
The 2017 WANA updated Directory is available to residents for down-loading from this Website. Check the "Directory" tab